The ones who love you hurt you the most. Just like water that makes up 3 quarters of your body is also the home for some of the most dangerous contaminants that are out there and can seriously harm you if not filtered out properly. Not trying to scare you but rather inform you to make smarter decisions. So better late than never, educate yourself by knowing these deadly water contaminants for safer water consumption in the future.
You might be familiar with its previous home, Maggi. While lead is quite useful in storing corrosive liquids and making car batteries, it can be quite harmful when left unattended and mixed with our water.
- As per the CDC, the most common sources of lead in drinking water are lead pipes, faucets, and plumbing fixtures, making it one of the most deadly water contaminants.
- Household plumbing fixtures, welding solder, and pipe fittings made before 1986 may also contain lead.
- Long-term exposure to lead can cause brain damage.
- This may lead to learning disabilities in children, nausea, seizures, reproductive issues and violent behavioural patterns.
Another familiar and ironic contaminant, since it’s actually used in water filtration. But when mixed with other organic compounds, it gives birth to certain harmful products like THMs and HAAs and parasites.
- Chlorine gas or calcium and sodium hypochlorites are added to chlorinate the water.
- The chlorination process raises the PH balance of the water, which may lead to gastrointestinal issues.
- Also, the by-products of chlorination are linked to kidney problems, diarrhoea, cramps, and increased cancer risk.
Yes I know, many of us use copper utensils at home and that’s okay. Copper is quite beneficial in small amounts, but can have certain side effects when exposed to in large quantities, making it another of the deadly water contaminants.
- Old faucets with a blue-green colour release high amounts of copper into the water.
- Other sources can be corrosion of household plumbing like pipes, fittings and brass faucets.
- Excessive amounts of copper can end up in our system and cause serious health issues like anaemia, liver and kidney damage
- It may also cause breathing problems in some people.
Several are responsible for this contaminant entering our drinking water. And the worse part is that it’s pretty quick in reacting with our body and showing side effects.
- The major mercury polluters are big corporations with their irresponsible waste disposal practices.
- However, it could also be due to atmospheric deposition (from rain, snow and dry particles).
- Merely short-term exposure to mercury can lead to kidney and nervous system damage.
- Mercury poisoning may also cause developmental issues in unborn children.
If you’ve watched the miniseries on Chernobyl and know what uranium is, I feel you. And it actually is one of the most deadly water contaminants that you’ll find.
Uranium is actually a naturally occurring mineral that is radioactive and releases radioactive substances like radium when it decays.
- Uranium has toxic effects on our health, primarily by increasing cancer risk.
- Apart from this, it can also cause kidney toxicity.
So what to do?
I’m pretty sure you know what to do. Buy an effective water filter to safely remove these deadly water contaminants from the water you drink. These are tough times already and leaving no stone unturned in keeping us and our family safe is the logical thing to do right now. So invest in a reliable water filter and improve your drinking game.